Saturday beats #2



Good evening folks, last week we kickstarted our first Saturday Beats feature with the fabulous track 'Find a way' by the talented artist Lakey. For this week's feature I will be diving into my archives for a song that took me some time to find and was a great milestone for when I started to enjoy electronic music in general for the first time in 2011.

And that track is 'Not In Love', a cover of the 1983 Platinum Blonde's song by the Canadian Electro-punk duo 'Crystal Castles'. I was fascinated by the name greatly when I first got the song. Turns out the name was inspired by something that all us 90s kids can relate to. Remember 'He-man'? yes, that fantastic Cartoon Network show with the muscled guy riding a tiger, holding up his sword to shout "For the honour of greyskull"? Yep he had a twin sister called She'Ra, who defends the 'Crystal Castle'. 




Fascinating isn't it?

Moving on to the music, the track starts will a very engaging beat, and slowly melds into rich vocals by Robert Smith from "The Cure" accompanied by a literal wave of Synth that seeps into the very essence of the song lifting and giving it an aura of something ethereal. 

Towards the end they are joined by a chorus of voices, which to me feels like Cherubim singing along, if I had to make a music video of this, that is exactly what I would do. 





There is a lot of reason to pay attention to the lyrics of this, from how Smith says,

"Won't give you my heart, 
No one lives there anymore"

It is very clear how this might be a song about denial of love. Again,

"We're were lovers 
And now we can't be friends" 

hints that this isn't a case of denial but a painful breakup or maybe both. And from how Smith's voice continuously pours every emotion in his being into the chorus of "Not in love" I can safely assume that can be the case. All this sounds like the theme of Ted's relation with Robin from "How I met Your Mother", they being together, breaking up and denying their affection for each other till the end of the show itself. Whatever the reason is, I am thankful for how shortly engaging it is, from the sadness in the voice that sings it to the sense of urgency filled electronic BGM, the entire track has an ecstatic feeling to it. 

Well, thats it for this week, stay tuned for next week's 'Saturday beat' track highlight. 



Comments

Recommended read

Popular Posts